Monday, June 20, 2005

Some Answers ...

I thank everybody who tried to answer the questions posted by me in my last blog. Before I present my views on those matters, let me draw your attention to a very serious matter related to proletarian weavers of silk, based in Varnasi, aired on NDTV today.

As tried to point out in my previous post that along with some benefits the open door policy has brought it has also delivered a deathblow to some of the local small-scale industries which were not competent enough or well protected. That is what has happened to silk weavers of Varanasi responsible for developing the famous “Benarsi Sarees” brand. The power loom industry and import of cheap yarn from china has virtually ended their business and has put a question on their survival. They have resorted to selling blood to feed their families. Now the story surfaced back in 2004 but government has failed to take any action to save these workers, who are masters of this rare traditional art.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

You can catch the full story here. Please do read it.





To each his own view,as I try to answer the comments posted on my previous post, I am just trying to present my views and don't intend to offend anybody. Here are the comments posted on my previous post for your reference.

I do believe that our country has strong and one of largest forex reserves in form of NRI’s,still I think more than the money we also need the brains for our country to progress.


Vikas, I agree everybody is entitled for their own happiness but they are also responsible for their country’s progress, and it is from graduates of IIT’s and IIM’s like you, the best brains of our country, our country’s expects the most. A mother expects the more from her best child. However, I agree most responsible people do contribute in one way or the other.

Kroopa , how do you define the level comfort.

Krishna I will do the tag thing in one or two days, give me some time.

Deepa , Consumers are made to feel that they are the king of markets; but most often ministers (read advertisements) mislead these kings.

Niki , Japan’s policy has made Japanese industries strong in the world, by promoting and strong domestic competition and protection policies. Look at Toyoto in fifty years it has risen at par or may be stronger than GM and ford which are older and bigger than it is.

Srivastan , Probably above story will tell about my view towards open door policiy.

I strongly believe in the Buddhist philosophy that often THE MIDDLE WAY is the best way. I think this ideology is the solution most of the problems our country faces today.

5 Voices:

Kroopa Shah (Kr00pz) said...

Lets just put it this way:
The standard of living is much higher. So a middle class person here is basically living an Indian upper middle class lifestyle. You don't have to be a manager to be earning 1 lakh INR a month, someone like me could do it (and I am still a university student). I don't mean they can do this working at McDonalds or Pizza Hut but if its posible to make that kind of money without being a bigwig.
And lets face it, we all want cash to enjoy. In India most parents supply kids with cash and if your parents are rich the better it is for you. There is nothing of that sort here (unless your father is Paul Martin or something)
Everyone has an oppurtunity to work and make it big. You aren't just respected because your father is big, people want to see what you are capable of. But I think I am straying away from the question.

Anyways, what I wanted to say was that the standard of living is higher.

Kroopa Shah (Kr00pz) said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Mirage said...

That is so sad...but unfortunately true. The open door policy sure brought about a lotta changes... but our cottage industries took a backseat. But selling blood...that's what the poor workers have resorted to?! its insane...the government has to look into the interests of these people before they perish and so would the art of weaving

Vikas said...

Hey about the IITs IIMs issue, I cannot speak for everyone as to what they would like to do with their future. Obviously you and I cannot force them to come back and contribute here especially when we cannot provide the world class facilities that they get elsewhere. But like you said, they do contribute in one way or the other.

And abt the best brains thing, thanks but the fact is, and this is based on personal observations, that most engg. students slog a lot more harder than IITians and are definitely more knowledgeable. But where most of them lag behind is the application of that knowledge. Now this is not a credit to the IITs but a discredit the other colleges. Our education system doesnt encourage us to think out of the box!

PS: this is not the reason why I am in the box!!

ada-paavi!!!! said...

true, artisans are a dying breed, tat is largely because they lack market access. their goods from being everyday comodities are now higher up the value chain, they command a premium in the market (in india and abroad) if they could market their goods properly theywudnt have any problem making ends meet.
there is this couple in hyderbad who sell traditional pottery, they buy it from potters who are in rural areas at prices above the market price and sell it in high end botiques, this way everyone benefits!!