Saturday, December 17, 2005

"This country has no future.."

This thought flashed my mind, when I was reading R.K. Laxman's interview by Sonia Faleiro.Do read it very interesting.


“Moving on to the Common Man. How has he evolved in recent times?
I’ve written about it and spoken about it. You’re asking the same
question. Why don’t you read my autobiography? (The Tunnel of Time.)

I have. It describes the creation of the Common Man. I’m asking
how he evolved.
There’s no change. He is as permanent as the moon,
stars. They don’t change, nor does he.”


R.K Laxman can be considered as of the few Indians who have seen it all, all of what this country has seen for past four decades or so. The dour determination with which he answers the question just confirms the stature of this man. Being a cartoonist I am sure he was always more aware of political, social and economic condition of our country presumably at any time in the history of his career.

Perhaps that’s what makes him despair, bereft of all hopes, for the common man.

Another thing that bemuses a bit is a touch of melancholy in his words, something unexpected from a man so successful, or perhaps that’s just his style.

“Frustu” as we call them in our lexicon.

But I believe hope is what makes wheel’s turn, and keeps life ticking. I hope I a won’t be see a day when say to my grandchildren( I am not sure I will be interviewed at the age of 75.)… “This country has no future.”



Life goes on….and will keep going on. To end this, I defiantly announce that this my 50th post, quite a slow start, I guess, for somebody who be started blogging 9 months ago. Perhaps I am playing a test match and I hope to reach the four figures one day. After all nobody’s going to drop me from the test team..(bad joke..eh..!!)

0 Voices: